Monday, March 19, 2012

Week 12: Priesthood Blessings


Hey everyone!
So this week was a busy one again of course! but with a lot of work comes a lot of stories so i might not get them all in.
But first the funny one that leads into a spiritual one. We were at the Riveras house for dinner Wednesday night, thats the same family i ate the pig feet with, but as we were getting ready to leave Hna Rivera asked for a blessing. Elder Facer asked me if i would do the sealing and i told him i'd do it next time and just do the anointing this time. So he said ok sounds good, but the next blessing- no matter what you are giving the blessing part. So i just said ok and went and i struggled through the anointing because i had never even looked at it in Spanish, But then elder Facer gave a sweet blessing.
 So that night we went home and we got a call from sister Larson and she said that a guy had called in from Provo and his father lived in our area and he was on Bed rest and his health was declining fast and asked if the missionaries would give him a blessing. He said he wasn't going to be able to be there but the whole rest of his family would - none of them are LDS. So lucky for me that was the next blessing i had to give it. haha So the next day we went over there and taught a little lesson about faith and blessing and a little about our church because they didn't really know anything. Then we went into the room with the man, Carlos Duran, and he was laying in bed and wasn't alert. It reminded me a lot of my clinicals, it was a weird flash back.
I had been praying the whole day to have help with the blessing and in my head I was thinking that I would have help to say everything I thought in spanish and maybe have one of those cool stories where I start saying words I didn't even know. I was nervous but I was trying really hard to have Faith that I would get help. When it came my turn to give the blessing I kept thinking how the spanish words should just come...but they didn't. Instead the Lord came down to my level and helped me out. Instead of having me say big and meaningful words, the words he had me say in the blessing were words I had already learned. It was way cool for me because I still felt like it was a good blessing for him and the family but I didnt  have to use anything to complicated. I'm sure I still messed up stuff but I got it out and I felt pretty good about it!
So it was ironic that it happened to be the next day for me that I had to give the blessing. I thought it was pretty funny! showed me a little of God's humor. 
This week was a week full of priesthood blessings, we were actually supposed to give another one to a man in our ward but he had to go into work. His story is crazy. He works at a shell gas station and the other night he was working the cash register and he got robbed! He doesnt really speak any english but I guess he got cracked in the face with a bat! I felt so bad for him when he called us, he could barley talk....and he still had to go into work. So i'll try and get more of an update on him for you.
I had some more weird stuff this week!!! Menudo. That stuff is nasty....Its Cow Stomach. The taste wasnt too bad but the texture and thought of it was. But i champed the whole bowl! haha I also had Fijoles Charlos...which I guess is super common but its beans and Pork skin...i didnt know what that one was until after haha. Mexicans eat so unhealthy though its killing me! haha i just want some veggies for somethings!!! its always just loads of meat beans and tortillas! haha but its all good.
For an investigator update:
Jesus: we had to take off his bapt. date because he is a pretty heavy smoker. We set up a plan and if he sticks to in its still going to take 2 months! but he's gone from a chain smoker to a 3 pack a week so that was good!

Dora: We also had to drop her, it's sad but she had some doubts still and didn't come to church this week so no bapt. Sat for here. I think after a few visits things should be good again though!

Libni Ortega: He and his family are someone we knocked into two weeks ago in *hour of power! They are golden!!! We taught them once and he had read the highlighted things he wanted to know and their whole family came to church after only one visit!!!! It was awesome we are going to try and set a date with them this week when we teach them again!

Morenos: This family is my favorite in Houston! the mom, Candy was bapt. right before i got here! the dads been a member but there kids lyric, nicky, and Nathan have now all decided to get bapt. Yesterday after church Nathan told us that he wanted to get bapt. and so now all three have dates for the 7th, and nicky even asked me if I'd bapt. him! We're going to try and get his dad to do it but the dad said he didn't want to. so we will see!

We had 7 investigators in church this past sunday and two less actives! so it was a way good day for us yesterday! hopefully they all can keep progressing!
Sounds like everyone is having a good time back home! I miss you all and hope you are enjoying being with eachother!
Con amor!!
Elder Erickson

*hour of power! 
We received a e-mail form the Mission President explaining "Hour of Power"  taught at their last zone conference:

    "We talked of the power of faith in our goal setting as missionaries and in life.  At the end of the meeting the Assistants shared the “Hour of Power” which is that every Thursday at 5:50 p.m. the missionaries are to be in  a member’s homes to share with them a brief lesson on faith then to let the family know that from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. they will be in their area or neighborhood searching out those who are ready and prepared to hear the gospel.  At 5:55 p.m., the missionaries ask the members to kneel in prayer and ask in faith that the missionaries will be led to those in the neighborhood who are ready and prepared to hear the gospel message.  We have experienced many wonderful miracle stories already.  If you haven’t already been asked, Sister Crawford and I invite you to join with us every Thursday at 6:00 p.m. CST and ask the Lord to bless not only your loved one, but all the missionaries in T.H.E. Mission to find those, that very night, who are seeking to know the truth.  I will thank you in advance for your additional prayers on our behalf."


I too want to thank any of you who join in this Thursday "hour of power"  Your faith and prayers will be felt!   - Annette



No comments:

Post a Comment