Posted by Elder Erickson's mom -
Elder Erickson has set a pattern of sending a hand written letter to a member of his family each week. My turn was coming up for her letter and I asked him this question:
"In your letter tell me some of the things you feel like the spirit has taught you in the 9 1/2 months you have been a missionary. "
Elder Erickson's response:
"So I haven't really even thought about a list of things that I have learned so this will be good for me as well.
The first one that sticks out to me is how key obedience is. I never really even thought about it before. I always saw commandments as a restriction. Now I've learned their real purpose and can say why I'm willing to live them, other than that's how I was raised or out of fear from parents or God.
Another thing my testimony has really grown in is the scriptures. The first time I went through the Book of Mormon it was like I got slapped in the face every time I read it. It's so clear and simple. I remember reading some at home and just getting so frustrated cuz I didn't know a thing that was going on. Now it's a totally different story. I know that without the Spirit I couldn't ever have learned the things I have. As I am thinking about this I don't think their is really very much spiritual wise or doctrine or testimony wise that hasn't improved! I was kind of a tool back home when it came to this stuff. Not that I was bad before, but I never really applied myself to these things.
The first time I read 2 Nephi 31 in the MTC I was like WOW! how did I not know that, luckily you and Dad know your doctrine and I was able to hold my own form just remembering thing y'all said. The kids in my district actually thought I knew a lot of doctrine but really all it was, was me regurgitating what you and dad have said. So getting out here and not only knowing how to say with my mouth but actually understanding the doctrine with my head and feel it with my heart is a whole new thing for me.
I don't know if that's what you were really asking but that's what came to mind when read the question. I can't really say all that the Spirit has taught me because I knew so little compared to what I know now, even though it's hardly anything. I know the Spirit has taught me all of it."
I miss Ethan so much but letters like this make me so grateful that he is out serving a mission. He is learning things that can only be taught by Spirit.
No comments:
Post a Comment