Monday, August 27, 2012

Week 35: A Tie, Tag and The Spirit

Today I would like to start my letter off with something that slapped me if the face pretty hard this week. I was sitting in a couple different lessons with people who I have never ever seen in my life, talking to them in a language I didn't even really know anything about until a few months ago,  and I'm sitting in there living room while they are offering me food and drink and just giving me their whole life story. Three white guys in the evening knocked on their door and they let them in. That's when I realized how crazy this whole ordeal is. I started thinking about all the houses I'd been in and all the people I have talked to. It crazy what a tie, a tag and the Spirit can do. People have welcomed me into there home and told me things that are very personable things I don't think they tell to just anyone. It really is a way awesome thing to be in the position I am in and have the opportunity that I have.

This week was pretty good! I'm starting to get to know the area a lot better and can figure out where I am. I'd say the area is about 54% Hispanic 44% Black and 2 % white. I Love black people. they have a whole culture all to themselves. I've also learned quite a few new words from them! haha but unlike Denver Harbor we don't even contact them at all. Since English elder actually work this area too if they are English we don't do very much unless they say something or we knock into them or of course the spirit tells us to. And we never teach them. Its way easier to pass people off here since they are so close. In Denver Harbor the elders would only come if we had someone who was already progressing pretty much and they never worked the area really so its nice that way. the ratio is different here but there are just way more people so we never run out of spanish people to teach. And since this area has so many apartments a lot of people are straight from Mexico and don't know any english. where as DH was more houses they neighborhood was more established. But that also means and lot more people disappearing from us. 

Good news though: Music rule has been changed. The rule now is anything that invites the spirit. and doesn't take us away form our purpose. Just straight out of the white handbook. No other rules. pretty big change. but those CD's from Nashville tribute band and EFY are all good. So if you could be so kind to send a few of those. and anything else that invites the spirit. I don't want to go over the top but some good music makes the day brighter. like some Josh G. you raise me up and what not! haha And Dallin if you could find some good stuff in Spanish! that would be super sweet! I don't know if they have EFY in Spanish or anything but send what you can find! haha

I got the bear lake pictures! Looks like y'all had fun after all! haha I can't wait to see the calendar here in a few months! haha 
DH update. Javier has a date for baptism now! and Janet got kicked out again so she moved in with the Ortega family for a few months until she gets a stable job or enough money to go to Honduras! its crazy! 
But I love you all and hope the first week of school goes good for everyone! 
Con amor y Respeto!
Elder Erickson


Trio and other elders in our ward.
The other Elder Erickson still has his suit coat on. Elder Jaynes is far right
This is at our ward mission leaders house for dinner! its crazy there!
 and the others elders are Elder slaughter and Elder Mconal

No comments:

Post a Comment